toolbar_feed

Appetite For THAT TONE :)

Discuss all things guitar and amp related. Bring on the gear lust and the quest for the ULTIMATE guitar tone. Axes, amps, stomps, everything guitar-related.

Appetite For THAT TONE :)

Postby rocker1984 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi guys.

first time poster/user of amplitube.

Im just wondering if anyone has any preset or tips on how to get slashes killer tone from appiteite for destruction. Without spending 100 grand on finding that old SIR amp of course :)

Any tips.suggestions would be greatly appricated :)

Rock on

James
rocker1984

Re: Appetite For THAT TONE :)

Postby brianbane » Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 am

I did a preset a couple years back called "Sweet Tone O' Slash" which has proven to be fairly popular.
Admittedly it is not perfect, but recently I've learned a few of Slash's secrets, so be on the lookout for some new Slash tones in the coming weeks. 8-)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
FacebookTwitterYouTubeSoundCloud

This forum is not intended for direct company technical support.
For all product support requests, please contact IK Tech Support
brianbane

Postby rocker1984 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:24 am

oh great dude that sounds promising.

wondering. could you link/provide me with the old slash presets you made? as i say im new to this lol...

thanks

James
rocker1984

Postby brianbane » Wed May 30, 2012 1:50 am

Sweet Tone O' Slash

I will probably delete this one when the new Slash tones are available.

brianbane

Postby lvss » Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Hey Brian, great tone... I took it, changed a little and uploaded it... It is called Sweet tone Leo. For my taste and gear, I prefer with less treble inside the amp... By the way, I took your advice and worked with mic distance.... Much better, thanks for this advice !!
lvss

Postby carlaz » Thu May 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Thumbs up for Brian's "Sweet Tone O' Slash" preset; I was messing around with some Slashy presets, but couldn't achieve anything much better than that one :D so I haven't taken it further or posted my experiments.

That said, there is a fair old pile of information out there about Slash's gear and settings -- perhaps too much, actually :lol: since it seems like Slash has used subtly different stuff and settings through the years, and it can be difficult to figure out what's what with info scraped off different Web sites! :roll:

Slash's Appetite for Destruction tone was famously produced on a rented, modded Marshall "metal panel" amp (technically, it would seem, a 100W Marshall Super Lead Model 1959 with an added extra pre-amp tube to provide an extra gain stage, as well as other switcheroos with particular capacitor types, etc.; the recent Marshall AFD100 attempts to recreate that kit). So the British S100 model in AT3 would obviously be a reasonable starting point, but I am entirely unsure about how one would attempt to mimic the extra gain stage. There's no real way to imitate that in AT3 other than the traditional but unauthentic approach of slapping an overdrive pedal in the front.

Otherwise, Slash is strongly associated with Marshall Silver Jubilee amps, which seems to me to be not un-JCM800ish in many respects (and I think he has sometimes used fairly straight-up JCM800s, at least for recording), and so the British Tube Lead 1 is clearly a good starting point on this front. Generally Slash uses EL-34s in the power amp, though he has used a separate amp with KT88s for clean tones; at some point he also used 6550 power amp tubes in some sort of Marshall for some sort of purpose. There are no KT88 or 6550 power amp options in AT3, but one might try messing around with the 6L6 options, perhaps.

Depending on the amp and the era, Slash's settings seem to vary (and, on tour, they probably a vary a bit night to night, tweaking for the venue), but his general starting settings for everything seem to me to run in the 6-8 range, with mids and/or treble sometimes pulled back towards 4-5, and bass and/or presence bumped up towards 8 (though I've seen photos of the AFD100 with its presence back towards 4-5 ... though the AFD100 may be a different beast anyway). Master volumes seem to run from 6ish to all the way up (going for that good ol' power tube distortion), while pre-amp gain seems to run (again) more usually in the 6ish vicinity.

Slash doesn't seem to use a lot of pedals. Famously, he boosts for leads with an EQ pedal set to "frown", bumping up the mids (fairly readily replicated with either the of the EQ pedal options in AT3) and a delay pedal set for a slap delay for solos (again, fairly readily replicated with probably whatever delay pedal in AT3).

The key thing is probably playing with the amp settings a bit, and picking some appropriate cabs. (Slash uses has used Marshall 1960A/B 4x12s with 70w Celestion Vintage speakers, but also cabs with 25w Greenbacks, and also cabs with Vintage 30s; not always sure quite which cab models in AT3 will get closest; some of those speaker options at least don't exist.) But for any effort in zeroing in on that "intro to Sweet Child" tone, trying to trick the British S100 into thinking it has an extra gain stage remains perhaps the puzzle that causes me the greatest uncertainty about how to approach it.

I got some good results by pairing a British S100 model with a British Tube Lead 1 model, juggling "Slash-like" settings on each, putting overdrive and/or EQ pedals in front of one or both, and trying different cab options that seemed vaguely appropriate (Marshally type things), but by "good results" I mean more that I got some pretty decent heavy blues/rock tones rather than anything that I would say distinctively seemed like any given Slash tone.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
http://soundcloud.com/espada-negra
carlaz

Postby brianbane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 am

Carlaz, pretty good research there!

A couple points, though. The Vintage Metal Lead is modeled on a 4-holer 1959 MKII, which was the basis for Slash's S.I.R. #36 modded amp on Appetite for Destruction. That's why I chose that amp over the S100. And, would you believe that Slash doesn't use an EQ boost at all? In truth, that signature AFD tone was achieved with a stationary wah pedal! That's what he uses his Q-Zone pedal for now.

Even his "standard" JCM 800 on albums is a modded Marshall. After losing #36, he bought #34 from S.I.R. and used it for Use Your Illusion. He still has it to this day.

If you want the 25w straight Greenback cab like what Slash used in the early days, that would be the 4x12 Closed Vintage 2. It makes for a very good match that is true to the original tone when paired with the right amp and settings.

My Slash presets are just about ready, and they blow away the one on the Preset XChange now... They should be available in a couple days. 8-)

brianbane

Postby carlaz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm

brianbane wrote:The Vintage Metal Lead is modeled on a 4-holer 1959 MKII, which was the basis for Slash's S.I.R. #36 modded amp on Appetite for Destruction. That's why I chose that amp over the S100.

:o That made me spend a little time re-researching early Marshalls, as well as the Appetite for Destruction Slash story, and of course you are right! I seem to have had some of my understanding of JTM100s vs. JMP100s confused. (Easily done for someone like me who really only knows these amps vicariously, though it also seems like the transition between the what we have come to understand as former (represented in the S100) and the latter (represented in the Vintage Metal Lead) was a bit fuzzy, wobbly, and gradual.

But, to be sure, the AfD amp (aka #36) seems to have been a modded post-Plexi "Metal Panel" Super Lead -- so, yeah, the Vintage Metal Lead would be the choice for a starting point. Still not sure how to capture the vibe of that extra gain stage! So I'm looking forward to your new presets. 8-)

This also makes me rethink the "Lemmy" preset ... For Motörhead tones, I should surely switch the preset back to using the Vintage Metal Lead, as the "famous" Lemmy amp is a 1976-vintage Super Bass. That's Metal-Panel-era era for sure. On the other hand, though some kind of 100w Marshall head is a sure bet for the man's Hawkwind daze, it might have been either a Plexi-era or a Metal-Panel-era model (depending perhaps on whether one was acquired new or perhaps scrounged up from somewhere). Have to go back and play around with the Lemmy preset(s) some more ....

brianbane wrote:And, would you believe that Slash doesn't use an EQ boost at all? In truth, that signature AFD tone was achieved with a stationary wah pedal! That's what he uses his Q-Zone pedal for now.

Ah, the sort of "half-cocked" way thing? That should be achievable in AT3 relatively straightforwardly. :)

brianbane wrote:If you want the 25w straight Greenback cab like what Slash used in the early days, that would be the 4x12 Closed Vintage 2. It makes for a very good match that is true to the original tone when paired with the right amp and settings.

Makes sense.

brianbane wrote:My Slash presets are just about ready, and they blow away the one on the Preset XChange now... They should be available in a couple days. 8-)

Not uncoincidentally timed with the release of (a) new amp model(s)? 8-)
--
carlaz

Postby brianbane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 pm

carlaz wrote:I seem to have had some of my understanding of JTM100s vs. JMP100s confused. (Easily done for someone like me who really only knows these amps vicariously, though it also seems like the transition between the what we have come to understand as former (represented in the S100) and the latter (represented in the Vintage Metal Lead) was a bit fuzzy, wobbly, and gradual.

Ain't that the truth!
It took me a long time to wrap my head around the Marshall approach. Most major amp manufacturers design distinct amps with clear product lines. Marshall didn't, particularly in the early days. All Marshall amps were a single design with an incremental evolution. The naming scheme was arbitrary. A "1964 Bluesbreaker" is not from the year 1964, just like a 1959. But you see people talk about the '64 Bluesbreaker all the time...

Sometimes amps would change in the middle of a production run, other times the same amp design would get some cosmetic tweaks and a new name. I'm still struggling to really understand it all.

carlaz wrote:Ah, the sort of "half-cocked" way thing? That should be achievable in AT3 relatively straightforwardly. :)

Sort of. But would you believe "full-cocked"? Yep. All the way up! But, Slash tuned his wah tonepot deeper than standard. That's reflected in his (original) Dunlop signature wah pedal. The new one has an expanded range instead.

carlaz wrote:Not uncoincidentally timed with the release of (a) new amp model(s)? 8-)

No comment. :mrgreen:

brianbane

Postby carlaz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:30 am

brianbane wrote:All Marshall amps were a single design with an incremental evolution.

Yeah, like almost every individual amp they built was just another prototype for the next individual amp they built. 8-) Makes perfect sense from a craftsman sort of mentality, though not from the point of view of a modern mass production mentality ... and, of course, clearly capable to keep gear-geeks both confused and fascinated. :ugeek: :lol:

brianbane wrote:
carlaz wrote:Ah, the sort of "half-cocked" way thing? That should be achievable in AT3 relatively straightforwardly. :)

Sort of. But would you believe "full-cocked"? Yep. All the way up! But, Slash tuned his wah deeper than standard. That's reflected in his (original) Dunlop signature wah pedal. The new one has an expanded range instead.

Yeah, OK -- sort of the Clapton "woman tone" approach, to the extent that this at least sometimes did not also involve messing with the tone knobs. (I always read that great guitar players know how to work the tone/volume knobs effectively -- which is yet another sign of my lack of greatness, since I am too slack to go messing about with those things! :lol: )

A wide-range wah is a thing of beauty. I used to have -- still do, actually, I think! -- an old Thomas Organ Crybaby that just wiped the floor with anything else that I ever personally played. (I've heard that old Coloursound wahs have huge sweep, but I never got my toes on one.) Alas, the pots or something started to give out on the Thomas Organ wah, really sucking out the tone, and I never managed to find anyone to service it. (And I sure wasn't gonna go poking around in there!) Maybe, if I figure out where it is and get it to someone who can look it over ... some day .... Now my "in-service" way is just have a stock Dunlop Jimi Hendrix; nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

I await an überStealthRigStomp device with rocker pedal and little row of stomp switches offering easy control of AmpliTube on computers and mobile devices, depending on which you plug it into. (It's just a blimmin' controller after all; the software it talks to will -- in my imagination -- do the rest!) Then there will be much joy in Mudville! 8-)

brianbane wrote:
carlaz wrote:Not uncoincidentally timed with the release of (a) new amp model(s)? 8-)

No comment. :mrgreen:

8-)
--
carlaz

Postby carlaz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 pm

carlaz wrote:Still not sure how to capture the vibe of that extra gain stage!

But, yeah, OK: the appearance of an official bloody AFD 100 model in the Custom Shop pretty much resolves that issue! :D
--
carlaz

Postby brianbane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 pm

And if you look in Presets > Collections > AmpliTube Slash > Discography you will find my updated Sweet Child O' Mine preset!

I told you it would be available in about 2 weeks! :D

All you need to do is download AmpliTube 3.8 and buy the AmpliTube Slash Gear in the Custom Shop with Gear Credits, or purchase the AmpliTube Slash bundle from the IK store!

brianbane

Return to The Amp Room